Friday, May 23, 2008

Apple and wood


Finally some sun after a week of wind and rain, with temps going below freezing at night. With 17C right now, it feels wonderfully warm. The apple tree has almost finished flowering, but I managed to catch the last blooms in this picture. 16 cubic meters of cut and split wood was delivered (in pouring rain) which, with the 4 cubic meters left over from last year, should be enough to heat my home for the next winter season. If all goes as planned, of course, I will not be living here for the entire winter, but will be in cow and chocolate country (I didn't mention watches - I don't wear one and am mostly uninterested in the time). The wood will need to be stacked and sun-dried in the summer before it's ready for the fire, but it tends to be too much even in my normal two-handed state and I usually get some friends over for a barbecue and wood-stacking party. This time will be no exception - I've just invited the entire department of engineering sciences, about 30 of us, over for a garden party in three weeks. While I made no mention of the wood stacking activity as yet, I'm sure that sometime between now and party time there will be a few offers of 'Let me know if you need help with anything...'.

No comments: