Sunday, June 1, 2008

Dissertation party

One of my colleagues (and former carpooler) successfully defended his thesis last week and an extremely traditional party was held at one of the student "nations" in town. It's a formal occasion with all the pomp of a wedding. The dress I wore is one designed and made by my sister, Jane. The dinner involved many speeches and the very Swedish drinking songs accompanied by lots of "snaps". I think we must have had to interrupt dinner about ten times to drink, sing and toast each other. The particular song being sung in the picture below also involved climbing onto chairs and is the song that indicates it's time to leave the table. It was 1 am when I got home and I took a picture of the northern horizon to show how light it was. Darkness no longer arrives here and I expect it will be a couple of months or so before it will get dark again. I notice the picture is fairly blurry - I seem to have had difficulty holding the camera still.









No comments: