Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I want to get thumbthing straight

In a few hours I'll be off to the hospital for a "thumb straightening". With both hands on my lap, the right thumb points towards the ceiling, the joint at the base of the thumb looking like it's been popped out of place. The remedy is to shorten a ligament such that the thumb gets pulled to where it should be. Sounds like a dubious fix which doc #4 is proposing, but I don't see any good alternatives. It's been 9 months since the injury - there were more moguls on a steep ski slope than I had accounted for - and my attempts to exercise the thumb back into position have failed. I still can't turn a key in a lock or change gears on my bicycle, but if I concentrate, I can just manage to remove the cap off of a beer bottle. Not that I need to. My colleagues at Friday beer usually give me a hand with that.

I should be home tomorrow evening in time to see what the Nobel prize winners are having for dinner and also get a look at the gowns the princesses will be wearing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - good luck to you!