Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The dead can warm the living

I can't help but admire Swedish creativity and the desire to particate in developing new energy sources. Or maybe it's just that Swedes abhor wastefulness. The cemetary administration in the Swedish town of Halmstad has plans to connect their crematorium's output - the heat, not the ashes - to the local district heating system: I saw this in the Local. While the burning fuel does produce CO2 and presumeably particulates, at least it's from a renewable energy source. Halmstad would be following the examples of the already operating crematorium heating systems in Lund, Skövde and Östersund.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid we had to memorize "The Cremation of Sam McGhee" by Robert W Service in school ..

a funny winter poem set in Alaska

Forget-me-not said...

And here's the poem: http://holyjoe.org/poetry/service2.htm

I enjoyed it