Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bicycling on ice

Since Tuesday we've had crisp cold winter days. At midday under a bright sun temps were -5, one of my favorite temperatures (the other one is 28). A sheet of ice covered sidewalks and roads. For 3 days I was too chicken to bicycle on the ice despite the studded snow tires and chose to go to work by bus, instead. But, finally, on Friday I got the bike out. Once I got out of the neighborhood - that was the tricky part - the bike paths were well sanded and it was quite straightforward. I've resolved not to fall off the bike this winter. I make this resolution every year and every year I've fallen off.

Friday evening we had our usual Friday beer in the kitchen at work at the end of the day. Afterwards we headed into town, all of us on bicycles, of course, to a pub for dinner and another beer. It had started snowing beautifully and a few centimeters had already hidden the ice on the bike paths. But the snow gives the tires something to grip and it usually gets easier. Until hitting a patch of hidden slick ice, that is. 3 beers and one tandoori chicken later it was time to go home. As I applied the brakes to stop at a crossing, sure enough, the bike did a neat sideways skid and I hit the ground. Good thing I was well padded with winter clothes and the snow was nice and soft. I didn't even get a bruise. Considering the lack of evidence, I've decided not to count it as a "real" fall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have fun riding on the snow this winter.

I grew up in Montana and many of us skied to school in the Winter. I don't know if kids still do that.